Author Topic: Happy new year 2011  (Read 11529 times)

stan

• Administrator
  • Hammerhead shark
Happy new year 2011
« on: January 01, 2011, 11:05:22 am »
Hello and all the best to you all for 2011.

A bit of news about TF! : 2011 has been a pretty bad year for me. Despite the fact that I worked more than I should have, my company (tirzen) is struggling. I need to make some changes in order to get more free time for Taskfreak! and start to pay myself a decent salary. So not much will happen in TF! world during the first few months of the year: I first need to sort a couple of things out, and that might include finding a job (if you hear anything, just let me know by writing to taskfreak at gmail).

But TF! is certainly not dead and I still have some plans for it. It's been very slow the last few years and it makes me pretty sad. There are a lot of solutions out there doing pretty much the same thing and even more, but I still believe TF! is unique in a way, and provides something the others don't. Just need a bit of time to make it really easy to install, and very stable. That is the goal for 2011.

Again, good health and happy new year 2011 !
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 11:09:57 am by stan »

Tobsel

• Global Moderator
  • Scorpionfish
Re: Happy new year 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 07:56:18 pm »
Hey Stan,

just a year since you posted this. Now I wish you a successful and healthy 2012!!
I would be glad if you could disclose a little update to your last year's review and prospect. How is the chance for a new taskfreak release? I'm fired up for a subtask solution :)

stan

• Administrator
  • Hammerhead shark
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 08:10:16 am »
Hi and happy new year to all Task freaks.

Last year was a very busy year for me. Since 2010 was not a good one for me company, I had to tfocus on paid projects to keep my company alive. And 2011 has been pretty successful in this matter. Unfortunately it took me away from TaskFreak.

But I'm starting 2012 with a good cash flow and lots of ideas for the task manager web app.

As you know, things have moved in the industry, with the growth of cloud services and no-SQL databases, more mobile use than ever, and a better support of HTML5 and CSS3 by browsers (even though IE is still behind but catching up). There are also a few new actors in the project management field, bringing interesting ideas and solutions.

Lately i've studied mongoDB, and the cloud, as well as API centered applications. My other projects also took me closer to the mobile technology.

Now the current TF! version is still based on a code created in 2005, and is obviously pretty obsolete. It is time to move to new technologies. I beleive API centered apps is the way to go, as they provide a great way for developers to extend the project and access data without having to worry about the base code.

MongoBD also gives me a better view on creating sub apps and adding more features as the project grows, without having to worry about tables structures. Sure we will have to provide a tool to migrate data from mySQL to Mongo, but it's worth it.

A few developers and designers have contacted me to work on the project. That will help having a great app ready.

TaskFreak time tracking will be dropped. And the classic version should disappear soon too. There will be only one version for TaskFreak, with plugins and extensions so you will be able to choose if you want an app focussing on time tracking, document sharing, etc.

I'm also going to open a blog for me and other developers to post and share ideas and get feedback.

Stay tuned, follow TaskFreak! on twitter and feel free to keep using the forum. Although I don't answer as often as I would like to, I do read all posts.

Tobsel

• Global Moderator
  • Scorpionfish
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 02:52:50 pm »
Sounds very interesting! (hoping self adaption and modification with the new programing approach is similar easy as yet for newbies like me) Thanks for your reply!

egiegutierrez

• Worm
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 03:57:35 pm »
Dear Stan,

This is definitely great news! I am glad to hear that you managed to hurdle your challenges last year and that you are now heading for a better 2012.

I look forward to your platform updates.  There are definitely new players (i.e. Apptivo , basecamp) but I am very interested in knowing more about your plans and how you intend to implement them this year.

More power to you!

Egie

Murdock

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 10:54:49 pm »
That is good news that you are going to keep it going. I love it.  I stumbled on TaskFreek after discovering the lack of a good task manager for Windows Phone 7. It is so simple, it's just what I needed. I was really looking for a phone app that would let me work on Tasks on my phone, or on my desktop/laptop if I happen to be at it. It is a bookmark on my browser, and on my Phone's Start Screen.

Have a great 2012!
Murdock